Course No. : CY100
Course Name : ENGINEERING CHEMISTRY
L-T-P-Credits : 3-1-0-4
To enable the students to acquire knowledge in the concepts of chemistry for engineering applications and to familiarize the students with different application oriented topics like new generation engineering materials, storage devices, different instrumental methods etc. And to develop abilities and skills that are relevant to the study and practice of chemistry.
Spectroscopy - Principles and Applications, Electrochemistry - Electrodes, Electrochemical series and applications, Nernst Equation, Potentiometric titration and application, Cells, Instrumental MethodsThermal Analysis, Chromatography; Conductivity, Chemistry of Engineering Materials, Copolymers, Conducting Polymers, Advanced Polymers, Nano materials, Fuels and Calorific value; Lubricants and their properties, Water Technology - Hardness, Water softening methods, Sewage water Treatment.
The student will be able to apply the knowledge of chemistry and will be equipped to take up chemistry related topics as part of their project works during higher semester of the course.
• Ahad, J., Engineering Chemistry, Jai Publications
• Dara, S. S., Engineering Chemistry, S Chand Publishers
• Fernandez, A., Engineering Chemistry, Owl Book Publishers, ISBN 9788192863382
• Jain and Jain, Engineering Chemistry, Dhanpat Rai Publishers
• Kaurav, Engineering Chemistry with Laboratory Experiments. PHI, ISBN 9788120341746
• Manjooran K. S., Modern Engineering Chemistry, Kannatheri Publication
• Seymour, R. B., Introduction to Polymer Chemistry, McGraw Hill
• Rath, P., Engineering Chemistry, Cengage Learning, ISBN 9788131526699
• Wiley India, Engineering Chemistry, ISBN 9788126543205