Course No. :PH100
Course Name : ENGINEERING PHYSICS
L-T-P-Credits : 3-1-0-4
Most of the engineering disciplines are rooted in Physics. In fact a good engineer is more or less an applied physicist. This course is designed to provide a bridge to the world of technology from the basics of science and to equip the students with skills in scientific inquiry, problem solving, and laboratory techniques.
Harmonic Oscillations: Damped and Forced Harmonic Oscillations. Waves: One Dimensional and Three Dimensional waves, Interference: Interference in thin films (Reflected system) Diffraction: Fraunhofer and Fresnel Diffraction, Grating, Polarization of Light: Double refraction, production and detection of polarized light, Superconductivity: Properties and Applications. Quantum Mechanics: Schrodinger Equations- Formulation and Solution, Operators, Applications. Statistical Mechanics: Microstates and macro states Maxwell - Boltzmann, Bose-Einstein and Fermi Dirac statistics. Fermi level and its significance. Acoustics: Intensity of sound, Reverberation and design concepts, Ultrasonics: Production, Detection and Applications, NDT methods, Lasers: Properties, Working Principles, Practical Lasers. Photonics: Basics of Solid State lighting, Photo detectors, Solar Cells, Fiber Optics.
Familiarity with the principles of Physics and its significance in engineering systems and technological advances.
• Aruldhas, G., Engineering Physics, PHI Ltd.
• Beiser, A., Concepts of Modern Physics, McGraw Hill India Ltd.
• Bhattacharya and Tandon, Engineering Physics , Oxford India
• Brijlal and Subramanyam, A Text Book of Optics, S. Chand & Co.
• Dominic and Nahari, A Text Book of Engineering Physics, Owl Books Publishers
• Hecht, E., Optics, Pearson Education
• Mehta, N., Applied Physics for Engineers, PHI Ltd
• Palais, J. C., Fiber Optic Communications, Pearson Education
• Pandey, B. K. and Chathurvedi, S., Engineering Physics, Cengage Learning
• Philip, J., A Text Book of Engineering Physics, Educational Publishers
• Premlet, B., Engineering Physics, Mc GrawHill India Ltd
• Sarin, A. and Rewal, A., Engineering Physics, Wiley India Pvt Ltd
• Sears and Zemansky, University Physics , Pearson
• Vasudeva, A. S., A Text Book of Engineering Physics, S. Chand & Co