• Rope drives are used for transmission of large amount of power over long distances.
• Wire ropes are extensively used in
• mine hoist,
• lifting tackles
• suspension bridges etc.
• A number of drives may be taken from one driving pulley.
• For a rope drive, groove angle of the pulley is usually 45o
Commonly used rope drives are
• Fiber ropes
• Wire ropes
Chain drives are used in
• Motor cycles
• Rolling mills
• It can provide nonslip drives
• It provides high efficiency
• Offers less load on shafts
• Occupies less space
• High cost
• More weight
• Velocity fluctuations due to stretching during use
• Needs accurate mounting and maintenance
• Lubrication is critical
• Chain does not perform well on applications requiring precision positioning