KERALA TECHNOLOGICAL UNIVERSITY
SECOND SEMESTER B.TECH. DEGREE EXAMINATION, MAY/JUNE 2016
Course Code : CE 100 BASICS OF CIVIL ENGINEERING
Max. Marks : 100 Duration :3 Hours
PART — A Answer all questions. Each question carries 3 marks.(10×3=30)
1. Explain very briefly about the classification of buildings based on occupancy.
2.'Orientation is an essential step while planning a building’. Comment.
3. What are the principles of surveying?
4. List out the commercial forms of steel available.
5.What do you mean by bearing capacity of soil ?
6.Explain the following terms related to brick masonry: Course, Queen closer & Perpends.
7.Explain how to prepare a wall surface for painting.
8. Differentiate between elevators and escalators.
9. What are the purposes of air conditioning of a building ?
10. What are the precautionstaken to achieve imperviousness of water tanks ?
Answer any 8 questions.
11. Write a short note on various components of a residential building and their functions.
12.write a note on the importance of civil engineering on infrastructural development of India.
13. Calculate plinth area, floor area and carpet area for the plan of a building given below: Wall thickness is 30 cm.
14. Explain the need and typesof open space requirement for a building.
15. Explain the centre line method adopted for setting out of a building.
16. What is direct ranging and what are the instruments used for ranging ?
17. The following consecutive readings were taken with a dumpy level and a 4 m levelling staff on a continuously slopping ground at a common interval of 30 m:0.585 on A,0.930, 1.955, 2.840, 3.645, 0.960, 1.035, 1.680, 2.535, 3.845, 0.950, 1.575, 3.015 on B. The elevation of A was 520.150. The instrument was shifted at 6th and 11th readings.
A) Rule out a page of level book and enter the above readings.
B) Find R.L of B.
C) Determine the gradient of line AB.
18. What is the composition of ordinary cement ? Briefly explain grades of cement.
19.Explain the preparation of concrete
20. What are the characteristics of a brick?
PART— C Answer any 2 full questions.
B) Describe the functions and various types of foundations. (6 marks)
22. A) Explain the method of applying plaster on a wall surface. (5 marks)
B) Explain the concept of intelligent building. (6 marks)
23. A) How is sound proofing done in a building ? (5 marks)
B) List out the specification of the following : (6 marks)
iii) Water tanks.