APJ ABDUL KALAM TECHNOLOGICAL UNIVERSITY
FIRST/SECOND SEMESTER B.TECH DEGREE
SPECIAL SUPPLEMENTARY EXAMINATION AUG/SEP 2016
ME100 BASICS OF MECHANICAL ENGINEERING
Max. Marks: 100 Duration: 3 Hours
PART A Answer all question.Each question carries 3 marks
1. State the second law of thermodynamics
2.Which pump requires priming? What is the need for priming?
3.The door of your refrigerator is kept open inside a room. What will happen? Justify your answer.
4. Name few hybrid vehicles in India and mention its importance.
5. Brieﬂy describe Rolling process
6. A designer is planning to design a sand mould without a riser. Can he achieve the casting successfully using this design and validate your answer.
7. A manufacturer demanded his lathe operator to put grip on his product. Suggest an operation to operator for performing the same? And explain the process?
8. Give the differences between a shaper and a planar.
Answer any 8 Questions (2 QUESTIONS FROM EACH MODULE)
Each question carries 6 marks
9. Explain the significance of Clausius inequality.
10. Sketch a Diesel cycle onP-V and T-S diagram and explain.
11. An engine operating on Carnot cycle between temperature limits 20°C and 800°C rejects heat at the rate 200 KJ/s. Determine
(i)the ideal thermal efficiency of the cycle, (ii) Power output of the engine.
12. With a suitable sketch explain the Working of a gas turbine.
13.ldentify and explain the engine that gives one power stroke for two revolution of crank shaft
14.With a suitable sketch explain the working of a centrifugal pump.
15.Explain the working of a Vapour absorption refrigerator with a suitable sketch.
16. Explain the working of a domestic refrigerator with a suitable sketch.
17. Explain the working of a split air Conditioner with a suitable sketch.
18. List out major components in an automobile with their functions.
19.Explain the different types of power transmission drives.
20.A good fuel for an S1 engine will be a bad fuel for a CI engine. Comment.
Answer any 4 questions (ANY 2 QUESTIONS FROM EACH MODULE)
Each question carries 7 marks
21.With neat sketch, explain sand casting process.
22. Brieﬂy describe different types of rolling mills with sketches.
23. Describe the forging process with sketches.
24. Explain the working of a drilling machine with the help of a neat diagram.
25. Sketch a milling machine and indicate the important components in it.
26. Describe a shaper with a neat diagram.