Mechanics of Solids CE201
Model Question Paper (Set2)
(Answer All Questions, 5 x 2 = 10 Marks)
1. What do you mean by thermal stresses?
2. A circular rod of diameter 20mm and 500mm long is subjected to a tensile force of 45kN.
The modulus of elasticity for steel may be taken as 200kN/mm2. Find elongation.
3. What is strain energy?
4. Define shear force and bending moment diagrams.
5. Draw the SFD and BMD of a simply supported beam subjected to a concentrated load at the centre.
(Answer Any Two Questions, 2 x 5 = 10 Marks)
6. Two parallel walls 8m apart are to be stayed together by a steel rod of 30mm diameter with the help of washers and nuts at the ends.
The steel rod is passed through metal plates and is heated. When its temperature is raised to 90°C, the nuts are tightened.
Determine the pull in the bar when it is cooled to 24°C if
a. The ends do not yield
b. The total yielding at the ends is 2mm.
E = 205GPa and coefficient of thermal expansion of steel, αs = 11 x 10-6/°C.
7. A steel bar of 25mm diameter is acted upon by forces as shown in figure.
What is the total elongation of the bar? Take E = 190GPa.
8. Draw the SFD and BMD for a cantilever beam 1.5m loaded with a UDL of 2kN/m over a length of 1.25m from the free end.
It also carries a point load of 3kN at a distance of 0.25m from the free end.
9. A simply supported beam AD of 8m span carries
(i) a concentrated load of 20kN at B, 2m from A and
(ii) a uniformly distributed load of 10kN/m over the portion BC (=4m).Draw the BMD and SFD.
Go to Set 1 Click Here
Download Question Paper